Other RAVG Data Access Methods
Annual raster mosaics and combined perimeter shapefiles are available as map services and downloads for recent years. There are three classified burn severity products (raster datasets) for each year: 7-class percent change in basal area (BA-7), 5-class percent change in canopy cover (CC-5), and 4-class composite burn index (CBI-4). The vector data includes the perimeters of each fire as mapped for the RAVG program. A second vector dataset ("metrics") includes summary (zonal) statistics reflecting the number of acres assessed to have high BA loss.
- Raster map services (national mosaics of BA-7, CC-5 and CBI-4)
- Vector map service* (burned area perimeters for all years, as mapped)
- Downloadable raster data (national mosaics of BA-7, CC-5 and CBI-4, by year)
- Downloadable perimeters* (combined shapefile for all years)
* Updated: As of 31 October 2023, there is a pair of updated vector datasets: one with a single feature for each fire, and a second with fires split by National Forest and wilderness area. The latter also includes summary data reflecting the number of acres with pre-fire tree cover and the number of acres with high BA loss values.
Note: Annual national raster datasets are typically prepared soon after the end of the year. Data for fires processed as extended assessments are added after the following growing season. Vector datasets are updated more frequently. For questions or issues with any of these data, please send an email message to SM.FS.PostFireRAVG@usda.gov.
Burn Severity Portal
The Burn Severity Portal (BSP) provides access to RAVG data from GTAC (primarily U.S. Forest Service lands) and USGS EROS (primarily Department of the Interior lands) and other post-fire data (e.g., MTBS data). The BSP's interactive viewer allows the user to locate and select data using spatial and temporal filters and download multiple data bundles simultaneously. Note that the addition of USFS RAVG data is underway but not yet complete.
Raster Data Extraction Tool
The RAVG Data Extract Tool is an ArcGIS Online (AGOL) application that allows the user to extract ("clip and ship") RAVG thematic data from national mosaics by either a predefined area (e.g., a National Forest) or a user-drawn polygon.